A Concert For World Peace - A Tribute to Journalist Daniel Pearl
- In the spirit of Danny's love of music and commitment to dialogue, the Daniel Pearl Foundation launched the first Daniel Pearl World Music Days on October 10, 2002, which would have been Danny's 39th birthday. Using the power of music to promote tolerance and inspire respect for differences, Daniel Pearl World Music Days has grown to include more than 4,900 performances in 101 countries.
- One of the most bold and versatile chamber groups in the country, Viklarbo Chamber Ensemble has performed throughout the United States, from the shores of the Mississippi Delta to the beaches of Waikiki.
- Critically acclaimed for passionate and dramatic performances of solos to quartets, this ensemble brings both spontaneity and polish to traditional classics and 20th/21st century classics in the making. Described by CBS/KNX Radio’s Jim Svejda as “Passionate, adventurous, hugely intelligent, and deeply musical, Viklarbo is one of the finest chamber ensembles in the country.”
- The ensemble maintains a core roster of violin, viola, cello, woodwinds, vocalists and piano, performing solos, duos, trios and quartets. It regularly expands for piano quartets, string quartets, vocal chamber music, and larger ensemble pieces. Members of the ensemble for this concert are Maria Newman, violin; Scott Hosfeld, viola; Michael Fitzpatrick, cello; Wendy Prober, piano, and Diana Tash, mezzo-soprano.
- The ensemble will perform an eclectic program of music by Michael Fitzpatrick, Bohuslav Martinu, Maria Newman, Zigmun Schul and Johannes Brahms. The selections for this concert were chosen to reflect the many aspects of the life and career of Daniel Pearl. They demonstrate the work and lives of the composers and artists, and the love Danny had for the violin and chamber music.
- Tickets: $10 advance reservations; $15 at the door.
- All proceeds will benefit the Daniel Pearl Foundation.
- For reservations and further information, call Valley Beth Shalom (818) 788-6000.
- www.jewishmusicla.org www.vbs.org
The selections for this concert were chosen to reflect the many aspects of the life and career of Daniel Pearl. They demonstrate the work and lives of the composers and artists, and the love Danny had for the violin and chamber music.
Invocation for World Peace Michael Fitzpatrick
Michael Fitzpatrick, cello
Five Madrigal Stanzas Bohuslav Martinu
Maria Newman, violin Wendy Prober, piano
Two Chassidic Dances Zikmund Schul
Scott Hosfeld, viola Michael Fitzpatrick, cello
Songs on Motherhood Maria Newman
Diana Tash, mezzo-soprano Maria Newman, violin
Scott Hosfeld, viola Wendy Prober, piano
To a Refractory Father
Do not stand at my grave and weep…
Piano Quartet No. 3, Op. 60 in C minor Johannes Brahms
Maria Newman, violin Scott Hosfeld, viola
Michael Fitzpatrick, cello Wendy Prober, piano
Allegro non troppo
Finale: Allegro comodo
RECEPTION TO FOLLOW